Explore Program bringing hundreds of Quebec teens to Hamilton this summer
Mohawk College has partnered with the Centre Linguistique du College de Jonquiere in Quebec through the federally funded Explore Program and is looking for homestay host families for 200 boys and girls, ages 15 to 19, for approximately five weeks this summer.
The students will be in Hamilton from July 2 to August 2 and will be attending English language classes at Mohawk each morning and taking part in a variety of social, cultural and sporting activities in the afternoon.
These students need a place to stay! If you live within 45 minutes by public transit of Mohawk College and can provide an English, French or bilingual environment, you could be a homestay host!
[ Read more about this program article by Mark Newman, Hamilton Mountain News ]
Bring the world to your front door!
The Canada Homestay Network provides cultural and first-language support to hosts and their students 24x7, a generous allowance to help offset expense and the opportunity to bring the world to your front door!
What you provide:
- Three nutritious meals / day
- Utilities including laundry and internet
- A private bedroom, desk and closet
- A patient, caring, and friendly home atmosphere
- The same guidance and attention you would want for one of your loved ones travelling overseas!
Why host an international student?
Being a homestay host is a rewarding experience.
When you make the decision to welcome an international student into your home, you make a lasting contribution to your family, your community and the student. [ learn more ]
Host families who welcome international students into their home:
- Grow their understanding of the world and its peoples
- Make life-long friendships
- Get to share the beauty of their home and community
- Ensure their local economy benefits from the booming international education industry
- Receive a generous allowance to offset expenses
International students who live with Canadian families:
- Learn language and Canadian culture in a healthy, caring environment
- Get a positive introduction to Canadian family life, which encourages many to apply for permanent residency after graduation
- Become valuable future partners in trade, political relations and global leadership
- Bring a broader world-view to their communities back home